Born: July 23, 1912
Place of Birth: Ottawa, Ontario
Place of Death: Oakville, Ontario
Category: Amateur Golfer
The son of David Black, Ken leapt out of his father's shadow with victories in the three BC Amateurs, two BC Opens and the 1939 Canadian Amateur. His win at the 1936 Vancouver Jubilee Open is one of the great Canadian golf stories. As a 24-year-old amateur, Black was challenging the likes of Byron Nelson and Lawson Little at his home course - Shaughnessy Golf Club. Young Ken came from well back in the field with a final round of nine under par to beat Nelson by three strokes.
Kenneth Black's Record:
- First Canadian to win PGA Event - the Vancouver Golden Jubilee in 1936, winning out over Byron Nelson.
- 1939 Canadian Amateur Champion
- Finalist in the Canadian Amateur Championship in 1933 and 1946
- 1932 British Columbia Open Champion
- British Columbia Amateur Champion: 1933, 1936, 1939
- Runner-up in the Pacific North West Championship in 1939 and 1945.
Other Items of Note:
- Member of British Columbia's Willingdon Cup Team eleven times.
- Member of Canada's golf team to Britain in 1935
Other links related to Kenneth Black
Ken Black BC Sports Hall of Fame Profile
Ken Black BC Golf Hall of Fame Profile
To view images of Kenneth Black from the museum collection, click here.
Previous - David L. Black
Next - Gayle Borthwick