Douglas Howard Silverberg
Born: January 16, 1933
Place of Birth: Red Deer, Alberta
Golf Club Affiliation: Calgary Golf and Country Club
A dominant force on the Alberta golf scene since the late 1940s, Doug Silverberg has won every major provincial championship in his home province, including the Juvenile, Junior, Amateur, Open and match play. In addition to his stellar provincial record, Silverberg won the Canadian Junior in 1950 and the Senior Championship of Canada in 1994 and also represented Canada several times at the Commonwealth Tournaments, Americas Cup and World Amateur Team Championship.
Doug Silverberg’s Record:
- Commonwealth Team: 1954, 1959, 1963, 1967
- Commonwealth Team (Winning Team): 1971
- America’s Cup Team: 1954, 1956, 1963
- World Amateur Team Matches: 1964, 1966
- America’s Cup Team (Winning Team): 1965
- 1950 Canadian Junior Champion
- 1951 Canadian Junior – runner-up
- 1994 Senior Championship of Canada
- Alberta Juvenile Champion: 1948-1949
- 1949 Alberta High School Champion
- Alberta Junior Champion: 1949-1951
- Alberta Amateur Champion: 1954, 1958
- 1958 Saskatchewan Open
- Alberta Amateur Champion: 1962, 1964, 1965, 1971
- Alberta Match Play Pro-Am: 1962, 1964
- 1964 Alberta Open Champion
- Central Alberta Amateur Champion: 1954 – 1961
- 1954-1961, three Central Alberta Opens
- Winner of 1958 Molson Open
- Willingdon Cup Team Winner in 1962, 1965 and 1966.
Other Items of Note:
- Douglas Silverberg served as President of Calgary Golf Association for three years.
- Inducted to Alberta Sports Hall of Fame in 1985.
- One of the inaugural members to the Alberta Golf Hall of Fame (November 2005)
To view images of Douglas Howard Silverburg from the museum collection, click here.
Previous - Cathy Sherk
Next - C. Ross (Sandy) Somerville