Ralph H. Reville
Place of Birth: Whitney, England
Died: 1957, Brantford, Ontario
Golf Club Affiliations: Brantford Golf and Country Club
A pioneer of golf journalism in Canada, Ralph Reville devoted a lifetime to preserving the exploits of Canada’s greatest golfers in "Canadian Golfer", the first golf magazine published in Canada. Reville was the founder, publisher, contributing and managing editor from 1915 to 1933 and also held the positions of Governor and Honorary Secretary of the Canadian Seniors’ Golf Association. He was alo the Honorary Secretary of the first Rules of Golf Committee of the RCGA.
The "Canadian Golfer":
- Founder, Publisher, Contributing and Managing Editor of Canada's first golf periodical the "Canadian Golfer".
- Most prolific magazine on golf in Canadian history. Was published once a month 12 months a year, 100 pages + an issue. Started during the first World War (May 1915), it continued to publish successfully at this rate for 20 years. (There were about 30,000 golfers in Canada during the war and about 115 clubs). The "Canadian Golfer" "brought international recognition to Canadian golf with readers around the world.
- Each issue carried articles on a variety of subjects, including greenkeeping, the rules of the game, the organization of new clubs, the construction of new courses, provincial and national championships and of the annual meetings of clubs.
- Lord Alness, from Edinburgh said " The Canadian Golfer is a model which many of our British golf papers might well imitate.
- U.S. Burke Golf Company - The Canadian Golfer is the best golf journal we receive.
- The Canadian Golfer served as the forum for many other early Canadian authors such as poet W.H. (Walter Hastings) Webling.
To view images of Ralph H. Reville from the museum collection, click here.
Previous - Sandra Post
Next - Clinton Robinson
R. Keith Alexander / Allan Balding / James Barclay / David Barr / David L. Black / Kenneth Black / Gayle Borthwick / Jocelyne Bourassa / Gordon Brydson / Dorothy Campbell Hurd Howe / Donald Carrick / Dawn Coe-Jones / Graham Cooke / Geoffrey Cornish / Gary Cowan / George Cumming / Marion Doherty / Phil Farley / Pat Fletcher / Bruce Forbes / Brent Franklin / Richard Grimm / Daniel Albert Halldorson / Florence Harvey / Mary Ann Hayward / Wilf Homenuik / Jules Huot / Karl Keffer / Ben Kern / George Knudson / William Lamb / Stan Leonard / George Seymour Lyon / Ada Mackenzie / Henry Martell / Fritz Martin / Roderick Hugh McIsaac / Gail Moore / Albert Murray / Charles Murray / Jack Nicklaus / Moe Norman / Marilyn Palmer O'Connor / Bob Panasik / Claude Pattemore / Sandra Post / Ralph Reville / Clinton Robinson / Stephen Ross / Doug Roxburgh / Lorne Rubenstein / Cathy Sherk / Douglas Howard Silverberg / C. Ross (Sandy) Somerville / Betty Stanhope-Cole / John B. Steel / Marlene Stewart Streit / Alexa Stirling Fraser / Violet Pooley Sweeny / Gordon B. Taylor / Stanley Thompson / Mabel Gordon Thomson / Margaret Todd / Murray Carlyle Tucker / Lisa (Young) Walters / Mike Weir / Nick Weslock / Gordon Witteveen / Robert Wylie / Richard Zokol