Sandra Post, C.M.
Born: June 4, 1948
Category: Professional Golfer
Year Inducted: 1988
Canada’s first player on the LPGA Tour, Sandra Post left a fine amateur career for the professional ranks and never missed a beat.
Following victories in three successive Canadian Junior Girl’s Championship, Post focused on turning professional for the 1968 season. Her victory in the LPGA Championship and a fifth place finish in the World Series of Golf garnered her rookie of the year honors and started a glorious career that included back to back wins at the 1978 & 1979 Dinah Shore and another six victories.
Until 2007, when Morgan Pressel won her first LPGA event and major title at the age of 18 years, 10 months and 9 days old, Sandra was the youngest winner of a modern major, winning the LPGA at the age of 20 years and 20 days old.
Sandra Post’s Record:
- 1968 Winner LPGA Championship:
- 1978 Winner Colgate Dinah Shore Winners Circle
- 1979 Winner Colgate Dinah Shore Winner’s Circle
- 1978 Winner Lady Stroh's Open
- 1979 Winner Lady Michelob
- 1979 Winner ERA Real Estate Classic
- 1980 Winner West Virginia Classic
- 1981 Winner McDonald's Kids Classic
- 1999 Captain of the inaugual Nation’s Cup between Canada and the United States
- 2000 - 2001 Captain Nation’s Cup
- 1964 - 1966 Canadian Junior Girls Championship
- 1963, 1965, 1966 Ontario Junior Girls Championship
- 1964 Ontario Ladies Championship
Other items of note:
- Sandra Post was the first Canadian woman to play on the LPGA tour in the United States.
- Winner of the Lou Marsh Memorial Award as Canada's Top Athlete in 1979.
- Received the Order of Canada, C.M. in February 2004
See Sandra's 1979 entry in Canada's Sports Hall of Fame "The Lou Marsh
To view pictures of Sandra Post from the museum collection, click here.
Previous - Claude Pattemore
Next - Ralph Reville
R. Keith Alexander / Allan Balding / James Barclay / David Barr / David L. Black / Kenneth Black / Gayle Borthwick / Jocelyne Bourassa / Gordon Brydson / Dorothy Campbell Hurd Howe / Donald Carrick / Dawn Coe-Jones / Graham Cooke / Geoffrey Cornish / Gary Cowan / George Cumming / Marion Doherty / Phil Farley / Pat Fletcher / Bruce Forbes / Brent Franklin / Richard Grimm / Daniel Albert Halldorson / Florence Harvey / Mary Ann Hayward / Wilf Homenuik / Jules Huot / Karl Keffer / Ben Kern / George Knudson / William Lamb / Stan Leonard / George Seymour Lyon / Ada Mackenzie / Henry Martell / Fritz Martin / Roderick Hugh McIsaac / Gail Moore / Albert Murray / Charles Murray / Jack Nicklaus / Moe Norman / Marilyn Palmer O'Connor / Bob Panasik / Claude Pattemore / Sandra Post / Ralph Reville / Clinton Robinson / Stephen Ross / Doug Roxburgh / Lorne Rubenstein / Cathy Sherk / Douglas Howard Silverberg / C. Ross (Sandy) Somerville / Betty Stanhope-Cole / John B. Steel / Marlene Stewart Streit / Alexa Stirling Fraser / Violet Pooley Sweeny / Gordon B. Taylor / Stanley Thompson / Mabel Gordon Thomson / Margaret Todd / Murray Carlyle Tucker / Lisa (Young) Walters / Mike Weir / Nick Weslock / Gordon Witteveen / Robert Wylie / Richard Zokol