Marlene Stewart Streit
Born: March 9, 1934
Place of Birth: Cereal, Alberta
Category: Amateur Golfer
Club Affiliations: Lookout Point Country Club, York Downs Golf Club
One of the most revered and recognized female golfers in Canada and around the world, Marlene Stewart Streit personifies the dedication and determination of Canadian golfers. Streit is the only player to have won the Canadian, U.S., British and Australian Amateur in her career. She is an inspiration to many of Canada's top young female professional and amateur golfers. Among her many accomplishments are 11 Canadian Ladies Open Amateur, nine Canadian Ladies Close Amateurs, three Canadian Ladies' Seniors and three USGA Senior Women's Championships. On September 11, 2003 when Marlene won her third USGA Senior's she also became the oldest USGA Champion.
Marlene Stewart Streit's Record:
- 1953 British Ladies' Amateur Champion
- 1956 United States Women's Amateur
- 1956 North & South Ladies' Champion
- 1956 United States Inter-Collegiate Champion
- 1956 North-South Champion
- US Open - low amateur: 1957, 1961
- Helen Lee Doherty Champion: 1959-1961, 1965
- 1963 Australian Ladies' Champion
- 1966 Low Individual World Amateur Team
- 1968 Ladies Supertest Open - low amateur
- 1970 Tied Low Individual World Amateur Team
- 1974 North-South Champion
- Peter Jackson Classic - low amateur: 1975, 1978
- du Maurier Classic - low amateur: 1983, 1985
- Doherty Senior Division Champion: 1987, 1989, 1993, 1996, 1999
- United States Senior Women's Champion: 1985, 1994, 2003
- 1996 Runner-up USGA Senior Women's Champion
- 1965 Runner- Up in US National Mixed Foursomes
- Co-Champion of the US Mixed Foursomes: 1953, 1958, 1959
- 1953 CLGA Team to Great Britain
- Commonwealth Team Member 1959, 1963, 1967
- 1979 Playing Captain of winning Commonwealth Team
- World Amateur Team Member 1966, 1968, 1970, 1972, 1980, 1984
- World Amateur non-playing Team Captain - 1978, 1992, 1998
- Canadian Ladies' Open Amateur Champion: 1951, 1954-1956, 1958-1959, 1963, 1968-1969, 1972-1973
- Canadian Ladies' Close Amateur Champion: 1950-1957, 1963, 1969
- Canadian Ladies' Senior Champion: 1987-1988, 1990, 1993
- 16 Time member of Provincial Team
- Ontario Ladies' Champion: 1951, 1956-1958, 1968-1970, 1972, 1974, 1976-1977
Other Items of Note:
- The only woman amateur golfer to have won the Canadian, British, Australian and United States Amateur Championships.
- Winner of the Lou Marsh Memorial Award as Canada's Top Athlete in 1951 and 1956.
- Received the Golfer-of-the-Year award in 1956.
- Voted one of 10 top international women golfers in January 1999 Golf World.
- In 2003 became the oldest champion of a USGA event.
- In 2004 became the first Canadian to be inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame.
See Marlene interviewed in the 1956 clip on the CBC Archives Website.
See Marlene's 1951 and 1956 entries in Canada's Sports Hall of Fame "The Lou Marsh Legacy" exhibit.
To view images of Marlene Stewart Streit from the museum collection, click here.
Previous - John B. Steel
Next - Alexa Stirling Fraser