Fritz R. Martin
Born: September 15, 1869
Place of Birth: York, Ontario, Canada
Death: May 19, 1934
Category: Amateur Golfer
The only left-handed golfer to win the Canadian Amateur, Fritz Martin captured the championship in 1902 and 1910 and was a finalist in 1907 and 1908. His greatest matches were against his brother-in-law George S.Lyon, including the times they met as seniors. A five-time captain of Hamilton Golf and Country Club, Martin was elected president in 1910 and was club champion on nine occasions.
Fritz Martin's Golfing Record:
- 1902 Canadian Amateur Champion
- 1910 Canadian Amateur Champion
- 1907 Canadian Amateur Champion Runner-Up
- 1908 Canadian Amateur Champion Runner-Up
- 1927 Canadian Seniors Golf Championship
Other Items of Note:
- Martin was the only left-handed golfer to win the Canadian Amateur Championship.
- President of Hamilton Golf & Country Club, Ancaster, Ontario in 1910; Captain in 1906, 1907, 1908, 1909 and 1012.
- In 1905, Martin entered his first United States Amateur Championship, with his famous brother-in-law, George S. Lyon. As fate would have it they were drawn against each other for the first round of match play. In Lyon's own words Martin " put up one of those electric games he is noted for, and defeated me one up, going round the Chicago course in 79 to my 80. He played the last nine holes in 36 - quite good enough to beat anyone."
- A portion of a quote from the British Empire Games Trials 1934 program reads: "At one time it was said he (Martin) had the best temperament for match play of any golfer, not even excepting his brother-in-law George S. Lyon, who was so often champion".
To view images of Fritz Martin from the museum collection, click here.
Previous - Henry Martell
Next - Roderick Hugh McIsaac
R. Keith Alexander / Allan Balding / James Barclay / David Barr / David L. Black / Kenneth Black / Gayle Borthwick / Jocelyne Bourassa / Gordon Brydson / Dorothy Campbell Hurd Howe / Donald Carrick / Dawn Coe-Jones / Graham Cooke / Geoffrey Cornish / Gary Cowan / George Cumming / Marion Doherty / Phil Farley / Pat Fletcher / Bruce Forbes / Brent Franklin / Richard Grimm / Daniel Albert Halldorson / Florence Harvey / Mary Ann Hayward / Wilf Homenuik / Jules Huot / Karl Keffer / Ben Kern / George Knudson / William Lamb / Stan Leonard / George Seymour Lyon / Ada Mackenzie / Henry Martell / Fritz Martin / Roderick Hugh McIsaac / Jack McLaughlin / Gail Moore / Alison Murdoch / Albert Murray / Charles Murray / James Nelford / Jack Nicklaus / Moe Norman / Marilyn Palmer O'Connor / Bob Panasik / Claude Pattemore / Sandra Post / Ralph Reville / Clinton Robinson / Stephen Ross / Doug Roxburgh / Lorne Rubenstein / Cathy Sherk / Douglas Howard Silverberg / C. Ross (Sandy) Somerville / Betty Stanhope-Cole / John B. Steel / Marlene Stewart Streit / Alexa Stirling Fraser / Violet Pooley Sweeny / Gordon B. Taylor / Stanley Thompson / Mabel Gordon Thomson / Margaret Todd / Murray Carlyle Tucker / Lisa (Young) Walters / Mike Weir / Nick Weslock / Gordon Witteveen / Robert Wylie / Richard Zokol