Born: October 31, 1891
Place of Birth: Toronto, Ontario
Place of Death: Toronto, ON
Category: Amateur Golfer/Builder
Ada Mackenzie was one of the finest female golfers Canada ever produced. Her championship record features five Canadian Ladies’ Open Championships, and five Canadian Ladies’ Close Championships. Mackenzie was medallist at the U.S. Women’s Amateur in 1927 and semi-finalist in 1932. A true ground-breaker in women’s golf, Mackenzie established the Ladies’ Golf and Tennis Club of Toronto, the only golf club in North America specifically for women.
Ada Mackenzie's Record:
- Medalist and semi-finalist in the 1927
U.S. Women's Amateur Championship
- Semi-finalist in 1932 U.S. Women’s
- 1937 Bermuda Tournament champion
- 1958 Bercanus Tournament champion
- Canadian Ladies' Amateur Champion: 1919, 1925-1926, 1933, 1935
- Canadian Ladies' Close Championship: 1926-1927, 1929, 1931, 1933
- Canadian Senior Women's Champion: 1955, 19-60, 1962, 1965
- Ontario Senior Women's Champion: 1965, 1969
Other Items of Note:
- Ada Mackenzie was named Outstanding Athlete of the Year in 1933.
- In 1924, Ada founded the Ladies Golf and Tennis Club of Toronto, which is the only golf club on the continent exclusively for women.
To view images of Ada Mackenzie from the museum collection, click here.
Previous - George Seymour Lyon
Next - Henry Martell